Tuesday 19 March 2013

5 tips for fighting fatigue


The other day I felt incredibly lethargic, no energy to do anything, barely able to engage with my family and I couldn't really understand why. I hadn't been to bed particularly late, hadn't had a disturbed night and yet I felt utterly drained.

A little later in the afternoon, I finally had my first glass of water of the day and then we ate an early dinner with the children. Straight after, I felt so much better and the fatigue I'd been experiencing had completely disappeared. I realised I was probably dehydrated and hungry. We had had a big breakfast and so I hadn't eaten lunch and just had a couple of small snacks to keep me going. I could have felt much better earlier in the day, had I stopped to give it some thought.

With that in mind, here are 5 tips - things to try when you are next feeling drained of energy:

Drink a glass of water. Have two if the first one goes down fast and you're thirstier than you thought.

Eat something*. It needs to be moderately substantial and healthy, so more like a banana than a couple of biscuits or if it's close to a meal time, bring it forward and eat properly rather than just snacking.(*Don't eat for the sake of eating. Ask yourself if you are really hungry, as opposed to bored. Drink water first and any pangs of hunger may dissipate).

Get some fresh air. This could be as simple as a quick wander around your garden (if you have one) or a walk around the block or to a local park.

Put on some music. You'd be surprised how some upbeat music can make you feel more upbeat, almost instantly.

Have a brief lie down. If your children are napping or if someone else is at home to keep an eye on them, have a lie down for 20-30 mins. Even if you don't sleep, taking the weight off your feet and having some quiet time can work wonders.

I think the list above can be applied to children too. If they seem in a bit of a slump, it's a good idea to try some of these tips to perk them up.

Have you identified any particular triggers that result in major fatigue and if so, how do you address it to regain your energy?
---
photo credit

4 comments:

  1. Anaemia!

    Nothing is working at the moment :( But hopefully once I'm over the health blip of the last few months things will improve.

    I have a lot going on at the moment which is leading me to make some pretty major life changes. The Diet Coke is going, most of the refines sugar, and most, if not all, of the meat (not that I eat much anyway).

    But yes, air and water for most people will work wonders! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness, sounds like you are having a difficult time. Hope the dietary changes bring about good results and have you feeling better soon. xx

      Delete
    2. Starting too actually :D I'm even starting to stay up past 9pm (rock AND roll!!!) hehe xx

      Delete
  2. I have had chronic anemia for a long time. Best remedy for me is vitamins B/C and some iron supplements.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading. I'd love to have your comments and thoughts!