Pesto is a pretty family-friendly sauce. Both my children love it. You can tailor it to your own preferences of taste, using whichever nuts or herbs you think your family will enjoy most. As well as serving on pasta, you can stir some into a risotto, put a few splodges onto pizza, serve over warm new potatoes or green beans or even use in a sandwich with something like tomato and avocado.
Here's a basic recipe you can follow in terms of quantity:
- 100g nuts (pine nuts, hazelnuts, walnuts, brazil, almonds...) toasted in a dry frying pan
- 200g basil or try parsley, rocket, some fresh chives or oregano
- 100g grated parmesan
- 250-300ml olive oil (or just follow your instinct with the oil to create the consistency you desire)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste
Are you and your family fans of pesto? Do you make it yourself and do you have any recipe variations to share?