Saturday 21 December 2013

A vegetarian Christmas dinner

As a vegetarian I often get asked what I eat for Christmas dinner, in place of the turkey that is traditional here in the UK. Most people assume I'll be eating nut roast, isn't that what every vegetarian eats?! Maybe for that very reason, I never have nut roast for Christmas dinner. My mother always made an effort creating something a bit different yet seasonal for our vegetarian Christmas main and it was always an attractive centrepiece on the table too. I don't remember ever having just a plain old nut roast for Christmas growing up.

The years we do spend Christmas at home, as we are this year, I like to take the opportunity to try something new. I enjoy looking through recipes finding something that sounds tasty and a bit more special than what we might eat any other day of the year. With all the great foodie websites, recipe blogs and such like that are available online, it's even easier to find culinary inspiration. The difficulty is choosing just one dish to go for!

In the past few days I have been looking around for ideas for Christmas dinner this year and narrowed it down to these three recipes, which my husband and I thought all sounded rather yummy:

A nut-free roast!
Lentil and cashew nut roast - a nice alternative to the traditional nut roast
Christmas veggie wellington - like the sound of the unusual choice of filling ingredients

What do you have for your Christmas main, if it's not turkey? Do you cater for any special diets that means you have to get creative in the kitchen? Do you like the same dish each Christmas or like me, do you like to vary the main dish from year to year?
---
photo credit

2 comments:

  1. I've finally figured out why I was not getting your e-mail updates. Gmail puts them in another folder called "social". :)

    For years my children were off dairy (and my daughter off wheat too). I'm still gluten and dairy free today. I never enjoyed baking that way much. It's a relief that that they've outgrown their allergies. We have natural ham for Christmas with a homemade apricot glaze. I make sweet potato biscuits and a luscious pecan pie. We have the same menu every year. I think there would be a mutiny if I dared change it. :):)

    MERRY CHRISTMAS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you solved the issue of the missing email updates!

      Your Christmas meal sounds delicious and I especially like the sound of the sweet potato biscuits.

      Have a very happy Christmas!

      Delete

Thank you for reading. I'd love to have your comments and thoughts!