To be specific, I focused on the following few things to make the week better for us all:
- kept my own mood upbeat and positive, even if I was met with a grumpy face or moany request
- gave plenty of hugs and kisses
- remembered to incorporate some positive reinforcement to reward his good behaviour
- provided a nice variety of packed lunches (I had got a bit slack on this towards the end of last term!)
- prepared as much as I could the night before for the packed lunches to keep my own mornings less of a mad rush (something else I had been neglecting at the end of last term!)
- brought him fairly substantial and fun snacks to eat after school on the way home
- cooked healthy evening meals but sticking to things I knew the children would enjoy eating and therefore reducing the number of potential 'battles'
- prepared evening meals while my son was at school and my daughter napping so I could spend more quality time with them both after school and again, to help my own sanity!
- ensured bedtimes were on time to keep my son well rested
- kept the rest of the week pretty low key for us all
How was your first week back to the routine after the holidays? Is there anything you made an effort to do to keep things ticking over nicely or was it naturally an easy switch?