I asked my friend for the recipe and as we got some beetroot in our veg box this week, I plan on making some. Soups are suddenly very appealing again now we're getting cooler temperatures. Whether you are a beetroot lover, or not, I'd recommend you trying the soup. The sweetness from the carrot and tomatoes compliment and almost mask the beetroot flavour, making it a tasty bowl of soup! The recipe is vegetarian and can easily be vegan by substituting the small bit of butter for oil of your choice.
Total time required Total time: 1 hr 45 mins
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 1 hr 30 mins
- 2 beetroot, large
- 1 onion1 carrot
- 1 celery stick
- 45g butter
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1.7 litres vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cloves
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper, freshly ground
- Roughly grate the beetroot, onion, carrot, and celery stick.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the vegetables and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until just softened.
- Add the tomatoes and crushed garlic, and cook for 2–3 minutes, stirring frequently, then stir in the stock.
- Add the bay leaves and cloves to the pan. Bring the soup to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 1 hour 20 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaves and cloves. Stir in the lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.