Tuesday 31 July 2012

This week: healthy-ish blueberry muffins


I like my breakfasts. For me, it really is the most important meal of the day. During the week we tend to have cereal or toast. However,  I get bored by cereal every day and with toast, I find I'm starving by mid-morning. So occasionally I branch out with a bagel and cream cheese or I bake muffins sometimes.

As blueberries are in season at the moment and I had some in the fridge, I decided to make some blueberry muffins for us to have in the morning. As they don't contain sugar and are vegan, I thought I would share the recipe with you in case you fancy trying them out for breakfast one day too. The recipe is adapted from one in the Gwyneth Paltrow cookbook I have.

I should add that these muffins don't look especially pretty when they come out of the oven, they don't rise and fluff up like regular muffins but don't let their appearance deceive you - they taste good! As with most muffin recipes, they are quick to throw together and depending on your morning schedule you could even get the wet and dry ingredients all ready the night before and then combine and add blueberries in the morning to enjoy them freshly baked!
  • 110g spelt flour (obviously you can substitute with regular plain flour)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 60ml vegetable oil
  • 60ml milk
  • 60ml maple syrup
  • 1 generous tablespoon of runny honey
  • A splash of water
  • 150g blueberries
Makes 6-8 muffins.

Preheat oven to 190C/375F/gas 5. Prepare your muffin tin - lightly grease or use paper cases.
Combine dry ingredients together and in a separate bowl, the wet ingredients. Stir wet and dry together and finally fold in the blueberries. Pour or spoon into your muffin tin (mixture will be quite loose). Bake for 25-30 mins until lightly browned and a skewer comes out clean. Bon appetit!

What is your typical weekday breakfast? What might you make for an occasional change, as I have done with these muffins?
---
photo credit

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. I'd love to have your comments and thoughts!