Wednesday 21 January 2015

Round two of the threenager!

Back when my son was age three and demonstrating some pretty challenging behaviour, I wrote this post, 'The Trying Threes'. Now I am going through it all over again with my daughter. Reading back over my earlier post, I am at least reassured that this is normal and just another stage we have to get through. It is a good reminder to me about doing my best to stay calm when faced with defiance from my daughter and feeling utter despair at times.

Last week I read this article, '10 Signs you are living with a threenager'. It is both funny and true! I can tell the author is talking about her daughter, as there are some things on her list that are the case with our daughter too but that never occurred with our son. Number 1 (about how to cut her sandwiches) and 3 (wardrobe changes, although just regular clothes, not princess costumes in our case) definitely apply to our daughter. Neither of these things were ever an issue with our son.

So, round two and having been there before I am going to try to take a deep breath and tell myself I can do this! I keep trying to identify what it is that is different on the days when my daughter is behaving beautifully but I think it is just the usual stuff: she needs sleep, food and attention, like they all do. Unfortunately there are always going to be days when she doesn't get enough of one of those and I will know about it!

In the meantime, I will endeavour to follow my own advice (see, 'The Trying Threes'), remembering she is only three, trying to lead by example, focusing on something positive from the day and remembering she does love me really!

Are any of you also currently living with a 'threenager'? What are some of the challenges they throw at you and how do you deal with them?
---
photo credit

2 comments:

  1. I'm not currently living a threenager, but oh my goodness reading your post has brought it back - especially the outfit changes with my daughter! I do believe 2 & 3 are the hardest ages I have had yet (I only go up to 9 at the moment). Think you just have to grit your teeth and rest assured that IT WILL PASS. And look after yourself xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear that in your experience up to age 9, this is one of the hardest ages to deal with! You're right of course that it will pass, always good to remember at those challenging times! xx

      Delete

Thank you for reading. I'd love to have your comments and thoughts!