Tuesday 8 October 2013

What do you cook for other people's children?

Now my son is at school, we have entered a new kind of play date. We only have after school as a time to go to friends' houses or have friends over and as late afternoon rolls into early children's dinnertime, dinner is usually part of the play date. Today we are off to a new schoolmate's home and his mother is cooking spaghetti bolognese for the children (always a winner). I am loving the fact that I don't have to plan and prepare dinner as I do usually when my son is at school. Even though I will cook for my husband and I, it will be quicker and easier throwing something together for two non-fussy adult eaters.

Next week we have been invited to another friend's home and children's dinner again offered, this time homemade pizza was the suggestion. We have a friend of my son's coming to our house at the end of this week and I'm planning on doing some kind of pasta dish.

All this makes me reflect on the options when cooking dinner for other people's children. I can't help but think that pizza, pasta and fish fingers are the main options because they cater to most fussy palates and don't have to include any / too many veggies. As a vegetarian who doesn't cook meat for the non-vegetarians in the family, I feel that leaves me with just two options - pizza and pasta. I am seriously contemplating keeping in some fish fingers in the freezer as back-up children's dinner fodder!

It also makes me realise what good eaters I have in my own two children. They are not great with green vegetables but they are always open to trying new foods and will eat most things. Like every other child, they love pasta and pizza but they also really enjoy most of the vegetable dominated meals I prepare for the family and generally eat a good varied diet.

I would loved to proved wrong and for you to tell me there are more dinner options that are popular with most children. What do you cook when you have other people's children over for dinner? What do you suggest I add to my repertoire?
---
photo credit

10 comments:

  1. Well, I think you have the answers really - keep it to simple, obvious dishes! I'd definitely be investing in some fishfingers or some chicken nuggets (if you don't mind the non-veggieness of them). Jacket potato beans and cheese is always good too I've found. Or a simple tomato based pasta dish? I'm on the other side of this fence as my daughter is a super fussy eater and has been invited over for play and dinner next week, and I am so terrified she will not eat what's in front of her. I never really had that problem with my son as he is a great eater. So wish us luck xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your advice and ideas! Sometimes you find fussy eaters eat much better when they are not at home for some reason so maybe your daughter will surprise you next week.....good luck though! xx

      Delete
  2. Have you ever tried a Shepherd's pie with veggies only? A mix of onions, carrots, celery, green beans, courgettes, and tomatoes and then the mashed potato on top? I make it with meat but it seems to me that veggies alone would do nicely too. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do indeed make a veggie shepherds pie along those lines. Good thought ,thank you!

      Delete
  3. On a similar theme as Maryse has suggested - a veggie type 'bolognese', also made with vegiies and tomato. Kids love slurping the spaghetti (even though it's a wee bit messy) and I think it's this which they love, rather than the mince in a traditional spagbol.

    It's hard though, isn't it? You don't want to risk starving someone elses child by making them something they won't eat ;) hehe x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's another good idea and you have a point about the spaghetti slurping ;-). It is hard though, like you say, you don't want the child to starve and ideally, you want them to enjoy the meal! x

      Delete
  4. I once gave a child on a playdate mussels and broccoli - not popular. Since then I've usually done pasta, but often children only like the pasta and not the sauce. Not that I can be too smug, one of my children apparently refused to eat anything at a friend's house, claiming they were 'full'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that was quite adventurous! Pasta definitely seems to be a crowd pleaser but I think you are right about the sauce not being easy. We had a little boy over last week who wanted his pasta with ketchup and cheese (no interest in trying the sauce I had made). Oh well!

      Delete
  5. Not long before you will have fussy diners at your table (without parents in tow!). Seriously, I find it so irritating when I have a child round who eats barely anything...I tend not to invite them again! I usually do spaghetti bolognese, sausages and mash or pizza. I very rarely do a fish fingers and chips type meal but always have them in as a back up. Best to check with parents first I find....now that mine are older, this is getting easier but you would be surprised at the number of 12 year olds who still only eat chicken nuggets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, sausage and mash is another popular option and usually a safe bet. Good advice to check with the parents and thanks for the forewarning that the fussy eating can continue even as they get older!!

      Delete

Thank you for reading. I'd love to have your comments and thoughts!